So here are some REAL tips to make an impact on the other professionals you meet during the next Chamber luncheon or mar comm event you attend.
- Make eye contact
- Be a listener first, then you can tailor the information you have to share to match their interests
- Remember specific detail from your conversation and write it down (on the back of their business card) for future conversations
- Turn your phone off and hand out business cards
- Ask questions that you actually wan to hear the answers to
- When introduced to someone, say their name out loud immediately so it sticks in your head
- Avoid annoying self-promotion
- Let them know you would like to hear from them again – and when you follow up use something from your conversation to help you stand out from the crowd
Marketing events and conferences are adapting speed networking sessions in which you get 90-seconds to meet another professional, exchange cards, and mention communications challenges they’re facing… and then meet someone new. (It’s a trend that I expect will be growing.)
What’s the best networking tip you ever received?